What is hemoglobin electrophoresis?
Hemoglobin is a protein in your red blood cells that carries oxygen from your lungs to the relaxation of your body. There are numerous diverse forms of hemoglobin. Hemoglobin electrophoresis is a take a look at that steps the diverse forms of hemoglobin in the blood. It also appears for abnormal forms of hemoglobin.
Typical forms of hemoglobin contain:
- Hemoglobin (Hgb) A, the most popular variety of hemoglobin in balanced adults
- Hemoglobin (Hgb) F, fetal hemoglobin. This variety of hemoglobin is observed in unborn babies and newborns. HgbF is replaced by HgbA soon right after delivery.
If degrees of HgbA or HgbF are also large or also very low, it can reveal particular forms of anemia.
Abnormal forms of hemoglobin contain:
- Hemoglobin (Hgb) S. This variety of hemoglobin is observed in sickle cell ailment. Sickle cell ailment is an inherited dysfunction that causes the body to make stiff, sickle-shaped red blood cells. Nutritious red blood cells are adaptable so they can go quickly by means of blood vessels. Sickle cells can get caught in the blood vessels, resulting in extreme and chronic agony, bacterial infections, and other complications.
- Hemoglobin (Hgb) C. This variety of hemoglobin does not have oxygen effectively. It can result in a moderate type of anemia.
- Hemoglobin (Hgb) E. This variety of hemoglobin is mainly observed in people of Southeast Asian descent. Folks with HgbE normally have no signs and symptoms or moderate signs and symptoms of anemia.
A hemoglobin electrophoresis take a look at applies an electrical recent to a blood sample. This separates regular and abnormal forms of hemoglobin. Every variety of hemoglobin can then be calculated independently.
Other names: Hb electrophoresis, hemoglobin evaluation, hemoglobinopathy evaluation, hemoglobin fractionation, Hb ELP, sickle cell monitor