By Mayo Clinic Staff
For a different taste, you can substitute white, butter or lima beans for chickpeas and 1 teaspoon toasted ground cumin seeds for the paprika.
Number of servings
- Healthy carb
- Low Fat
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) reduced-sodium chickpeas, rinsed and drained except for 1/4 cup liquid
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 3 tablespoons tahini (sesame paste)*
- 2 tablespoons chopped Italian flat-leaf parsley
*Note: If you need to follow a gluten-free diet, check the label to make sure the brand of tahini is gluten-free.
Using a blender or food processor, puree the chickpeas. Add the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, pepper, paprika, tahini and parsley. Blend well.
Add the reserved liquid, 1 tablespoon at a time, until the mixture has the consistency of a thick spread.
Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Nutritional analysis per serving
Serving size: 1/4 cup
- Calories 88
- Total fat 4 g
- Saturated fat
- Trans fat 0 g
- Monounsaturated fat 2 g
- Cholesterol 0 mg
- Sodium 80 mg
- Total carbohydrate 9 g
- Dietary fiber 3 g
- Total sugars 2 g
- Added sugars 0 g
- Protein 4 g
- Starches 1
- Meat and meat substitutes 1
- Nuts, seeds and dry beans 1/2