Fiber is the portion of fruits, veggies and grains not digested by your physique. A low-fiber diet program restricts these meals. As a final result, the amount of undigested material passing through your big intestine is minimal and stool bulk is lessened.
A low-fiber diet program may possibly be encouraged for a amount of ailments or situations. It is from time to time known as a limited-fiber diet program.
Your doctor may possibly prescribe a low-fiber diet program if:
- You have narrowing of the bowel owing to a tumor or an inflammatory disorder
- You have had bowel medical procedures
- You are getting treatment method, these types of as radiation, that damages or irritates your digestive tract
As your digestive procedure returns to usual, you ordinarily can slowly insert more fiber again into your diet program.
Food plan specifics
A low-fiber diet program limits the forms of veggies, fruits and grains that you can eat. From time to time, your doctor also may possibly want you to restrict the amount of milk and milk products and solutions in your diet program. Milk does not include fiber, but it may possibly lead to distress or diarrhea, in particular if you’re lactose intolerant.
The capability to digest foods varies from particular person to particular person. Based on your situation and tolerance, your doctor may possibly advise a diet program that is more or considerably less limited.
If you’re having a low-fiber diet program, be positive to study foods labels. Foods you could not assume — these types of as yogurt, ice cream, cereal and even drinks — can have additional fiber. Search for meals that have no more than 1 gram of fiber in a serving.
Foods that are typically authorized on a low-fiber diet program contain:
- White bread without having nuts and seeds
- White rice, basic white pasta, and crackers
- Refined warm cereals, these types of as Cream of Wheat, or chilly cereals with considerably less than 1 gram of fiber per serving
- Pancakes or waffles made from white refined flour
- Most canned or nicely-cooked veggies and fruits without having skins or seeds
- Fruit and vegetable juice with minimal or no pulp, fruit-flavored beverages, and flavored waters
- Tender meat, poultry, fish, eggs and tofu
- Milk and meals made from milk — these types of as yogurt, pudding, ice cream, cheeses and sour cream — if tolerated
- Butter, margarine, oils and salad dressings without having seeds
You need to avoid:
- Whole-wheat or full-grain breads, cereals and pasta
- Brown or wild rice and other full grains, these types of as oats, kasha, barley and quinoa
- Dried fruits and prune juice
- Raw fruit, which includes those with seeds, skin or membranes, these types of as berries
- Raw or undercooked veggies, which includes corn
- Dried beans, peas and lentils
- Seeds and nuts and meals containing them, which includes peanut butter and other nut butters
If you’re having a low-fiber diet program, a usual menu could search like this.
- 1 glass of milk, if tolerated
- 1 egg
- 1 slice of white toast with easy jelly
- 1/two cup canned peaches
- 1 cup of yogurt if tolerated, without having seeds or nuts
- 1 to two cups of chicken noodle soup
- Sandwich of drained tuna with mayonnaise on white bread
- Canned applesauce
- Flavored h2o or iced tea
- White toast, bread or crackers
- two slices of cheese or 1/two cup of cottage cheese, if tolerated
- Flavored h2o
- 3 ounces of lean meat, poultry or fish
- 1/two cup of white rice
- 1/two cup of cooked veggies, these types of as carrots or green beans
- White meal roll with butter
- Warm tea
Put together all meals so that they’re tender. Excellent cooking approaches contain simmering, poaching, stewing, steaming and braising. Baking or microwaving in a included dish is another solution.
Consider to avoid roasting, broiling and grilling — approaches that are likely to make meals dry and challenging. You may possibly also want to avoid fried meals and spices.
Keep in thoughts that you may possibly have much less bowel movements and scaled-down stools though you’re next a low-fiber diet program. To avoid constipation, you may possibly have to have to consume more fluids. Drink plenty of h2o except if your doctor tells you normally.
Ingesting a low-fiber diet program will restrict your bowel movements and assist ease diarrhea or other symptoms of stomach ailments, these types of as stomach ache. As soon as your digestive procedure has returned to usual, you can slowly reintroduce fiber into your diet program.
Because a low-fiber diet program restricts what you can eat, it can be challenging to satisfy your dietary requirements. You need to use a low-fiber diet program only as lengthy as directed by your doctor. If you need to continue having this diet program for a more time time, talk to a registered dietitian to make positive your dietary requirements are remaining fulfilled.Aug. 20, 2020
- Vanhauwaert E, et al. Small-residue and low-fiber eating plans in gastrointestinal disorder management. Sophisticated Nourishment. 20156:820.
- Small-fiber meals. American Cancer Culture. https://www.most cancers.org/treatment method/survivorship-all through-and-following-treatment method/staying-lively/nutrition/low-fiber-meals.html. Accessed May well 31, 2017.
- Small-fiber nutrition therapy. Nourishment Treatment Manual. American Dietetic Affiliation. https://www.nutritioncaremanual.org/. Accessed May well 31, 2017.
- Barbara Woodward Lips Patient Training Middle. Ingesting a low-fiber diet program. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Basis for Healthcare Training and Investigation 2013.
See more In-depth