Overdue pregnancy: What to do when baby’s overdue
An overdue pregnancy can depart you worn out and anxious. Come across out what might trigger an overdue pregnancy and what it can signify for you and your baby.
By Mayo Clinic Team
Your because of day has appear and absent — and you are nevertheless pregnant. What is actually likely on?
Whilst your because of day might seem to be to have magical qualities, it’s only a calculated estimate of when your baby will be forty weeks. Your because of day does not estimate when your baby will arrive. It is typical to give delivery prior to or right after your because of day. In truth, your pregnancy must go on two weeks previous your because of day to earn the official label of postterm pregnancy.
You might be additional probable to have a postterm pregnancy if:
- This is your to start with pregnancy
- You’ve had a prior overdue pregnancy
- Your baby is a boy
- You have a body mass index of 30 or better (being overweight)
- Your because of day was calculated incorrectly, perhaps because of to confusion above the exact day of the start off of your past menstrual time period or if your because of day was dependent on a late second- or 3rd-trimester ultrasound.
Almost never, an overdue pregnancy might be similar to issues with the placenta or the baby.
What ever the trigger, you are in all probability worn out of remaining pregnant, not to point out anxious. Relaxation assured, an overdue pregnancy will not past forever. Labor could start out at any time.
Postterm pregnancy challenges
Investigate exhibits that when pregnancy extends involving 41 weeks and 41 weeks and 6 days (late-term pregnancy) as effectively as forty two weeks or over and above (postterm pregnancy), your baby might be at enhanced possibility of health issues, such as:
- Becoming significantly much larger than average at delivery (fetal macrosomia), which might maximize the possibility of an operative vaginal shipping, C-section, or finding a shoulder caught driving your pelvic bone in the course of shipping (shoulder dystocia)
- Postmaturity syndrome, which is marked by decreased fats beneath the skin, a deficiency of a greasy coating (vernix caseosa), decreased smooth, downy hair (lanugo), and staining of the amniotic fluid, skin and umbilical wire by your baby’s to start with bowel movement (meconium)
- Lower amniotic fluid (oligohydramnios), which can impact your baby’s coronary heart price and compress the umbilical wire in the course of contractions
Late-term and postterm pregnancies can also pose challenges, this sort of as shipping troubles:
- Intense vaginal tears
- Postpartum bleeding
Holding an eye on your pregnancy
Prenatal treatment will go on right after you pass your because of day. During visits, your health treatment provider will check your baby’s dimension, coronary heart price, place and inquire about your baby’s movements.
If you are additional than a single 7 days previous your because of day, your health treatment provider might do fetal coronary heart price checking (nonstress exam) and an amniotic fluid quantity evaluation or a blend of a nonstress exam and a fetal ultrasound (biophysical profile). In some scenarios, labor induction might be recommended. Labor induction is the stimulation of uterine contractions in the course of pregnancy prior to labor starts on its have to reach a vaginal delivery.
Giving baby a nudge
If you and your health treatment provider decide on labor induction, you might be supplied medicine to assist your cervix ripen. Your health treatment provider might dilate your cervix by inserting into it a tiny tube (catheter) with an inflatable balloon on the conclusion. Filling the balloon with saline and resting it in opposition to the inside of the cervix aids ripen the cervix. If your amniotic sac is nevertheless intact, your health treatment provider might crack your h2o by producing an opening with a skinny plastic hook.
If needed, you might also be supplied medicine to kick-start off your contractions. A common option is Pitocin, a synthetic model of oxytocin — a hormone that triggers the uterus to deal.
Dangle in there
You happen to be in the homestretch! No matter if your health treatment provider suggests a wait around-and-see method or schedules an induction, remain in contact and make certain you know what to do if you believe you are in labor. In the meantime, do your ideal to appreciate the rest of your pregnancy.May well 01, 2020
- Norwitz ER. Postterm pregnancy. http://www.uptodate.com/property. Accessed May well three, 2017.
- Frequently questioned thoughts. Pregnancy FAQ069. What to be expecting right after your because of day. American College or university of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. http://www.acog.org/Clients/FAQs/What-to-Count on-Soon after-Your-Thanks-Day. Accessed May well three, 2017.
- American College or university of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) Committee on Exercise Bulletins — Obstetrics. ACOG Exercise Bulletin No. 146: Management of late-term and postterm pregnancies. Obstetrics & Gynecology. 2014124:390. Reaffirmed 2016.
See additional In-depth