What takes place for the duration of a group B strep examination?
If you are pregnant, your health treatment provider may order a swab examination or a urine examination.
For a swab examination, you will lie on your back on an test desk. Your health treatment provider will use a
small cotton swab to get a sample of cells and fluids from your vagina and rectum.
For a urine examination, you will most most likely be explained to to use the “clean up catch strategy” to make sure your sample is sterile. It contains the pursuing methods.
- Clean your palms.
- Clean up your genital place with a cleansing pad provided to you by your provider. To clean up, open your labia and wipe from front to back.
- Start out to urinate into the toilet.
- Transfer the collection container under your urine stream.
- Accumulate at minimum an ounce or two of urine into the container, which must have markings to suggest the quantities.
- Finish urinating into the toilet.
- Return the sample container as instructed by your health treatment provider.
If your baby wants screening, a provider may do a blood examination or a spinal tap.
For a blood examination, a health treatment specialist will use a small needle to get a blood sample from your baby’s heel. Right after the needle is inserted, a small amount of money of blood will be gathered into a examination tube or vial. Your baby may experience a small sting when the needle goes in or out.
A spinal tap, also recognised as a lumbar puncture, is a examination that collects and appears at spinal fluid, the crystal clear liquid that surrounds the mind and spinal wire. In the course of the technique:
- A nurse or other health treatment provider will keep your baby in a curled-up situation.
- A health treatment provider will clean up your baby’s back and inject an anesthetic into the skin, so your baby will never experience suffering for the duration of the technique. The provider may place a numbing product on your baby’s back before this injection.
- The provider may also give your baby a sedative and/or suffering reliever to help him or her much better tolerate the technique.
- At the time the place on the back is totally numb, your provider will insert a thin, hollow needle among two vertebrae in the lower backbone. Vertebrae are the small backbones that make up the backbone.
- The provider will withdraw a small amount of money of cerebrospinal fluid for screening. This will get about five minutes.